Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Cake to Remember

It was my birthday yesterday. Someone brought me out for a lovely lunch at a snazzy French Restaurant and I had the ever popular Chocolate Fondant Cake (Molten Chocolate Cake) for dessert.

While eating the yummy warm cake with the soft chocolate centre oozzing out, I was thinking back to the very many birthday cakes I've had over the years. During my childhood, one of my favourite cakes (and it was very popular in those days) was the Black Forest Cake. It's not easy to find a bakery that makes good Black Forest Cake now adays.

It's a wonderful cake, simple to make and assemble.

First, bake a rich chocolate sponge cake, cool and then slice it into 2 or 3 layers, length-wise.

Place the bottom half of the cake on a serving plate or cake tray and spread a layer of tinned sour cherries that have been soaking in whisky for at least a day. Top that with
a layer of freshly whipped cream. (Repeat if there are 3 layers.)

Place the top half of the cake carefully over the ensemble. Spread a generous amount of freshly whipped cream all over the cake and decorate with lots of shaved dark chocolate and more sour cherries.

Chill well and then serve with a good strong cup of tea.


No comments: